Hi Saundra,

I have to put in a plug for 30 min appts.  (They probably aren't as practical for small groups.)  We do individual tutoring and cut back from 60 to 30 minutes in order to promote more student independence.

One idea -- completely changing the system deters anyone from thinking any one party is being favored.

Kathryn Van Wagoner
Utah Valley University
Math Lab Manager
801-863-8411

>>> "Saundra Y McGuire" <[log in to unmask]> 12/4/2009 1:12 PM >>>
I agree with Roberta.  AND, an additional benefit is that you can see more students in a day, so 60 minutes is a more efficient use of your resources.  I often find that with math, the key element is effecting a "paradigm shift" in the mind of the student.  They need to know that it is their own effort that will result in success, and not "spending time" with a tutor.  Very often it's the math learning strategies that are most important, along with building the students' confidence that they CAN do this.  And this can sometimes be taught in even less than 60 minutes.

Happy Holidays, Everyone!
Saundra

Saundra McGuire, Ph.D.
Assistant Vice Chancellor for Learning and Teaching
Professor, Department of Chemistry
736 Choppin Hall
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803