Please conserve: Think before you print this email.
Hi Michele,

We offer 1/2 hour and hour long appointments with a maximum of 2 hours per
week per course.  Maximum # of students in a session is 4 and they must be
from the same course (same instructor preferred).

Karin E. Winnard, Tutorial Coordinator
Learning Assistance Resource Center
Undergraduate Studies
San Josť State University
San Josť, CA 95192
Evaluator, NCLCA
 Evaluator, ITCP 1988-2008
Past President, ACCTLA (1990-93)

The information in this email message may be privileged, confidential, and
protected from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, any
dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited.  If you
think you have received this email in error, please email the sender and
delete all copies.

Michele Doney <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
12/04/2009 08:41 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Appointment formats:  Shorter appts with smaller groups, or longer appts
with larger groups?

Hi all,

Currently, there are two math tutoring centers on my campus:  mine, which
does only college-level math and science classes, and the Math Prep
Center, which does remedial and 100-level math courses, plus special
remedial tutoring programs for incoming and current students who need
extra help and are not enrolled in a remedial course.  The college is
eliminating its associate degree programs in favor of community college
partnerships, which means it will be phasing out its remedial math course
offerings.  With this in mind, the Math Prep Center has been relocated
across the hall from my center, and beginning next semester, we will merge
and become a single, larger center under my direction.  The two centers
have always worked very closely together, but we do have some policies and
procedures that differ, and I have some choices to make.  One of the most
fundamental ones involves the format of our tutoring appointments.  My
center offers appointments that are 60 minutes in length, with a maximum
group size of two.  The MPC offers 75-minute appointments that track the
bell schedule, with a maximum group size of three.  There are clearly pros
and cons to both.   My question to all of you:  which would you choose,
and why?

Thanks!  Have a wonderful weekend!
Michele

Michele Costabile Doney
Coordinator, Math and Science Tutoring
NCLCA Certified in Learning Center Leadership, Level One
John Jay College of Criminal Justice

browser to