The St. Marks CBC was held yesterday amid chilly temperatures and breezy to
windy conditions, but the day overall was beautiful. For the second year in
a row I co-led the Lighthouse section with Ron Christen. The effects of
recent rains and near normal yearly rainfall after so many years of drought
really altered our experience. We ended they day with 116 species, excluding
some really easy misses. Unfortunately we did not get to tally the Neotropic
Cormorant because the high tide never rose high enough to cover the spit
where the cormorants were congregated offshore. Hopefully, someone will
tally it during the count period. Here are some of the highlights:

- Long-tailed Duck (Lifer! Picnic Pond, associating with scaup. Tip: to
avoid glare from the sun, walk from the parking area south along the road.
You will find a fairly nice angle to view much of the pond.)
- White-crowned Sparrow (Picnic Pond parking area. The bird was associating
with a small flock of Chipping Sparrows)
- Red-breasted Nutchatch (Lifer! Not in a publicly accessible area, but
great views for both of us who were left by that time.)
- White-faced Ibis (Lifer! 3 birds associating with Glossy Ibis Mounds 3)

Keep looking up!

Rob Lengacher
Tallahassee, FL