A Long-tailed Duck was sighted at SMNWR Picnic Pond this morning at 8:30am 12/20/09.  The specimen appeared to be a female, perhaps first winter.  The duck spent much more time below the water surface than above, and was diving within a group of scaups, grebes, coots, plus a few buffleheads on the southern pond edge along the reeds.

In addition, I noticed that another birder recorded observation of the Neotropic Cormorant at the lighthouse in the Visitor Center Wildlife Log on 12/12/09.  I looked for but did not spot the NECO today, the tide was very low and the cormorants were too far offshore.

Sincerely,

Chris Mason

Bonnie Hall

Tallahassee