Subject:  Masked Duck at Viera Wetlands [birdPIX]

Hi all:

I drove to Viera Wetlands [on the east coast of FL] early Saturday [122609] morning from St. Pete.  I observed the bird from about 0830-0900.  At times it was not that far out to get a couple of half-way decent images.  There were several other birders present – most had brought their camera equipment to take pictures of this bird.  Thank-you Danny & others for reporting this bird.

This is the second time ever that I have observed a Masked Duck.  The last was in Brazo Bend State Spark, Texas in January of 1994.  That bird was either a female or male in eclipse plumage.

This bird seems to have some telltale striping on the head.  May be its not totally out of eclipse plumage?  I noticed this feature in the pix that I took of the bird.

The following links are to images of this bird that I took:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/4222879606/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/4222879526/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/4222879460/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/4222879416/