TZ is a per-process attribute that each application can override.  An app
finds its timezone by calling tzset(), which in turn usually takes it from
the TZ environment variable, which child processes automatically inherit
from their parent process.  In the old days, TZ was initially set in the
init process, e.g. by appearing in a file like /etc/environment or /etc/rc.
 Or it could be set in the /etc/profile.  Or, your window manager, like KDE
or Gnome, may set it; which means that a process run by cron and one run in
a window manager may think they have different timezones.  Nowadays, if TZ
is not set the default is taken from /etc/localtime, which is usually a
symlink to a file in /usr/share/zoneinfo/.

So, see if the TZ environment variable is set in your application process
(or its parent shell script).  If not, set it explicitly.  And if TZ is not
set, check what /etc/localtime points to.

If you want to make sure that a program always uses a particular timezone,
explicitly set the TZ environment variable before invoking the app.

-david