If you are trying to help end users with mounting of shares, consider Likewise Open or pammount.   We use pam mount o the Linux workstations right now.  I am testing Likewise Open right now for to get AD authentication and authorization, but  it includes a CIFS mounting component.  I have yet to try that piece, but I’m told it does seamless volume mounting at login time in the Macs.

Philip

From: Platform Independent Linux List! [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Will Saxon
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2010 12:26 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: mount.cifs stability in current RedHat/CentOS?

I've used it with RH/CentOS 4.x and 8.04+ Ubuntu. It works fine.

You didn't say, but I'm assuming you're trying to mount shares on a Windows system. If so, you may want to look at the NFS server in MS Services for Unix (gasp) also. It's 'free' now. I've been using it for a little over a year and it has not caused any headaches. Setup was bizarre, but not difficult. This helped me out with some systems that didn't provide an acceptable way to mount SMB/CIFS shares.

-Will