Many thanks to everyone who responded with links to publications, programs,
and websites for me to check out.  It's very much appreciated!

One follow up question for the group related to community identification.
 What is your opinion on community algorithms that create overlapping lists
(1 person can belong to many communities) vs. those that create mutually
exclusive lists (1 person can only belong to 1 community)?

When doing analysis that has problems with fuzzy boundaries I can see the
benefit of algorithms that create mutually exclusive lists, however, when
dealing with human networks it seems that the mutually exclusiveness of
something like Newman Girvan would prevent us from getting a true picture of
the communities that exist within a network since people tend to belong to
multiple communities.

All the best!
~ Steve