Is the problem solved if the fee is waived? It's not like INSNA is losing
money: these folks cannot attend the conference if forced to pay.

-z

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Bonnie H. Erickson <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am shocked.
>
> If INSNA cannot fix this, because its home base is in the US and subject
> to US regulations, then INSNA should help the Iranian scholar(s) to find a
> work-around.
>

> Bonnie H. Erickson
> Sociology, University of Toronto
> 725 Spadina Avenue
> Toronto M5S 2J4
> Canada
>

> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, Barry Wellman wrote:

> > I'm sure it is not Mario Diani's (or our Treasurer's) fault, but this is
> > unfortunate.
> >
> > I can think of a work-around, and have suggested to the rejected person,
> > but I call on the heads of INSNA to come up with a solution.
> >
> > FWIW, the rejected person is a superior scholar and my former student.
> > However, she does live in Iran.
> >
> > US foreign policy should not dictate INSNA policy.
> >
> > I have opposed scholarly boycotts against Israel, and I oppose this one
> > too.
> >
> >  Barry Wellman
> >  _______________________________________________________________________
> >
> >   S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC               NetLab Director
> >   Department of Sociology                  725 Spadina Avenue, Room 388
> >   University of Toronto   Toronto Canada M5S 2J4   twitter:barrywellman
> >   http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman             fax:+1-416-978-3963
> >   Updating history:      http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php

Zeynep Tufekci, Ph.D.
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD
[log in to unmask] @techsoc
http://www.technosociology.org