I'll second what Matt says and add that, in my case, my way into a career in
the advertising world in Japan was paved by a colleague of my wife, who
provided both the nudge and the useful list of names that got me into my
first job in Japan.

John

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Matt Moore <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Worth looking at the actual research itself & what it says about the
> importance of professional & personal networks to entrepreneurs:
> http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1507384 (p.10)
>
> My own experience has been that my friendships from school, undergrad &
> grad school have all been great personally but have been little help
> business-wise (of course moving continents may have been a factor in this).
> My key business relationships here have been former work colleagues,
> acquaintances from professional associations & close family-type
> relationships.

John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN
Tel. +81-45-314-9324