Hello all,

Before Christmas I posted a message asking for information or articles on
reputation management online. Specifically, I was interested in how social
network sites offer both opportunities and challenges for reputation
management, as opposed to reputation management on sites like eBay.

Thanks very much for all your responses. I am by no means an expert in this
area, but have put together the following list of articles and other sources
of information, based on the responses I received and my own reading. If
anyone has a particular interest in this area, please feel free to contact
me and I would be happy to discuss it further.

Personal Reputation Management Online:

Binder, J., Howes, A. & Sutcliffe, A. (2009). The problem of conflicting
social spheres: Effects of network structure on experienced tension in
social network sites. 2009 Conference on Computer-Human Interaction.

http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1518701.1518849

boyd, d. m., & Ellison, N. B. (2007). Social network sites: Definition,
history, and scholarship. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 13(1).

boyd, d. 2006. "Friends, Friendsters, and MySpace Top 8: Writing community
into being on social network sites." First Monday 11:12, December.
http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/issue/view/206

Donath, J. (2007). Signals in social supernets. Journal of Computer-Mediated
Communication, 13(1).

Donath, J., & boyd, d. (2004). Public displays of connection. BT Technology
Journal, 22(4), 71-82.

Joinson, A. et al. (Eds.). (2007). Oxford Handbook of Internet Psychology.
Especially chapters 13 to 17.

Tong, S. T., Van Der Heide, B., Langwell, L., & Walther, J. B. (2008). Too
much of a good thing? The relationship between number of friends and
interpersonal impressions on facebook. Journal of Computer-Mediated
Communication, 13(3), 531-549.

Walther, J. B., Van der Heide, B., Kim, S. Y., Westerman, D., & Tong, S. T.
(2008). The role of friends' appearance and behavior on evaluations of
individuals on facebook: Are we known by the company we keep? Human
Communication Research, 34, 28-49.

Also see:

http://buildingreputation.com/

Companion site to a book being written by Randy Farmer and Bryce Glass:
'Building Web Reputation Systems'

http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/content/apr2008/sb20080430_356835.htm

Article on reputation management in the corporate world

Best wishes,

Sam

Dr Sam Roberts,

Institute of Cognitive and Evolutionary Anthropology,

University of Oxford,

64 Banbury Road,

Oxford,   OX2 6PN

Tel: 01865 612376