Dear colleagues, does anyone have experience with the Add Health wave
III friendship data?

We are thinking of using them in a study of peer effects on fertility,
but that would only make sense if there actually is meaningful
information in the data set.

Here's what the manual from the Add Health website says:  "At Wave III,
Add Health respondents who were in the 7th or 8th grade at Wave I were
asked to identify, from a list of 10 computer-
generated names, which ones were current friends or which ones were
their friends when they were in school together."

Specifically, we'd like to know what the average number of current
friends is (out of the 10 "computer-generated" candidates), and how that
"computer-generation" was done - was that random sampling from the
former classmates, the former friends, or what?

Any info on these data is appreciated at this stage!
Greetings,
Christian Steglich

_ __ ___ ____ ___ __ _ __ ___ ____ ___ __ _

Christian Steglich, researcher
Faculty of Behavioural and Social Sciences
University of Groningen
Grote Rozenstraat 31
9712 TG Groningen
The Netherlands