Bob
You can take a diffusion perspective in which:
1) All of the nodes are used to construct an adjacency matrix.  This can be initially created by making a link list of all the counties that are next to one another and converting this to an adjacency matrix in UCINET or any one of the other commonly used tools.
2) Then construct a matrix vector of the initially invasive species.  You may have multiple such vectors if studying different species across the same terrains.
3) Then it is a simple process of matrix multiplication to construct the network exposure terms over time and convert this to an event history framework and determine if exposure is associated with infestation.

I wrote all of this in GAUSS such that the input is the link list or node list and a vector indicating time at infestation.  The time vector gets converted to an over-time adoption matrix and carries out the matrix multiplication to get exposure terms.  It also calculates infectiousness and susceptibility (per Strang and Tuma, 1993; Myers, 2000).  It will also calcuate thresholds to adoption, how much exposure required for an infestation to occur.  It is summarized in my diffusion chapter.

We are have converted much of this to STATA/MATA which we can share and my next task is to learn R and run it in that environment.

-Tom

Robert Talbot Trotter II wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org *****

Please see the request below, which I am forwarding from my son. He is a Forest Service research ecologist who is also moving into areas that will include human, as well as invasive species,  network analysis.  He is in the process of becoming a member of INSA, but also has grant and data analysis deadlines to meet.  Please feel free to copy him on any responses, and I will copy him on any general responses to the list serve.  Thanks. Bob Trotter