As pointed out by Mason, I am also of the opinion that the best option
is to compare different modularity based methods on the same data set.

Concerning the important (and difficult) point of overlapping
communities, I would suggest to consider also multi-resolution
methods, they perform
hard partitioning at different topological scales. The results provide
information about possible overlapping when all scales are processed
together.

A.-