Hello all,

Before Christmas I posted a message asking for information or articles on  reputation management online. Specifically, I was interested in how social network sites offer both opportunities and challenges for reputation management, as opposed to reputation management on sites like eBay.

Thanks very much for all your responses. I am by no means an expert in this area, but have put together the following list of articles and other sources of information, based on the responses I received and my own reading. If anyone has a particular interest in this area, please feel free to contact me and I would be happy to discuss it further.

Personal Reputation Management Online:

Binder, J., Howes, A. & Sutcliffe, A. (2009). The problem of conflicting social spheres: Effects of network structure on experienced tension in social network sites. 2009 Conference on Computer-Human Interaction.

http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1518701.1518849

boyd, d. m., & Ellison, N. B. (2007). Social network sites: Definition, history, and scholarship. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 13(1).

boyd, d. 2006. “Friends, Friendsters, and MySpace Top 8: Writing community into being on social network sites.” First Monday 11:12, December. http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/issue/view/206

Donath, J. (2007). Signals in social supernets. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 13(1).

Donath, J., & boyd, d. (2004). Public displays of connection. BT Technology Journal, 22(4), 71-82.

Joinson, A. et al. (Eds.). (2007). Oxford Handbook of Internet Psychology. Especially chapters 13 to 17.

Tong, S. T., Van Der Heide, B., Langwell, L., & Walther, J. B. (2008). Too much of a good thing? The relationship between number of friends and interpersonal impressions on facebook. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 13(3), 531-549.

Walther, J. B., Van der Heide, B., Kim, S. Y., Westerman, D., & Tong, S. T. (2008). The role of friends' appearance and behavior on evaluations of individuals on facebook: Are we known by the company we keep? Human Communication Research, 34, 28-49.

Also see:

http://buildingreputation.com/

Companion site to a book being written by Randy Farmer and Bryce Glass: ‘Building Web Reputation Systems’

http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/content/apr2008/sb20080430_356835.htm

Article on reputation management in the corporate world

Best wishes,

Sam

Dr Sam Roberts,

Institute of Cognitive and Evolutionary Anthropology,

University of Oxford,

64 Banbury Road,

Oxford,   OX2 6PN

Tel: 01865 612376