***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Some canonical social psych articles that speak to the first clause of your sentence:

Gruenfeld, Deborah H., Elizabeth A. Mannix, Katherine W. Phillips and Margaret A. Neale. 1996. Group composition and decision making: How member familiarity and information distribution affect process and performance. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes. 67(1): 1-15.

Phillips, Katherine W., Elizabeth A. Mannix, Margaret A. Neale and Deborah H. Gruenfeld. 2004. Diverse Groups and Information Sharing: The Effects of Congruent Ties. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology. 40(4): 497-510.

Phillips, Katherine W. and Denise Loyd. 2006. When surface and deep-level diversity collide: The effects on dissenting group members. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes. 99(2): 143-160.