***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** I'll second what Matt says and add that, in my case, my way into a career in the advertising world in Japan was paved by a colleague of my wife, who provided both the nudge and the useful list of names that got me into my first job in Japan.

John

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Matt Moore <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Worth looking at the actual research itself & what it says about the importance of professional & personal networks to entrepreneurs:
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1507384 (p.10)

My own experience has been that my friendships from school, undergrad & grad school have all been great personally but have been little help business-wise (of course moving continents may have been a factor in this). My key business relationships here have been former work colleagues, acquaintances from professional associations & close family-type relationships.

----- Original Message ----
From: Barry Wellman <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Mon, January 18, 2010 1:14:59 PM
Subject: [SOCNET] alumni networks overrated

says a Business Week survey:

tweeted by orgnet (aka Valdis Krebs)

How Important Are Your Alumni Networks? Not Much!? -- http://bit.ly/4q22gC
via @betseymerkel

Barry Wellman: My undergrad nets are useless, as are my hi school nets,
but my grad nets are super-important to me -- as friends, colleagues,
members of my life convoy.

 S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC               NetLab Director
 Department of Sociology                  725 Spadina Avenue, Room 388
 University of Toronto   Toronto Canada M5S 2J4   twitter:barrywellman
 http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman             fax:+1-416-978-3963
 Updating history:      http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php