That is sad, because the extra help really empowers the ELL student to
become independent and self reliant.

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stanton, Mary Jean
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 9:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Best Learning Center Practices: Online, Tutoring and
Assessment

So does your faculty and institution support alternative testing in the
Learning Center for ELL students?  We have a structured testing program
for students with documented disabilities who need accommodations and
instructors also refer students to use testing in the Center when they
see high/extreme levels of anxiety or inconsistencies in student work,
such as verbally answering questions but failing classroom tests, or
they think that it might help performance. Many instructors see the
benefits for ELL students especially and readily refer to us. (There is
one person in administration who is questioning the practice.)
I believe in universal design and try to employ that approach in the
Academic Center. Testing performance is monitored and some students only
use the service for one class; others use it for most classes while
still others end up back in the classroom.

Thanks for your thoughts on this topic.  Currently, my institution
supports the program but as we approach accreditation and assessment, I
want to gather all possible support for the services I believe are
imperative to student success. We have hard data but more support never
hurts.
I'm not sure why this one student development administator is
questioning compliance?

mjs

Mary Jean Stanton
Director, Instructor