From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lois Martin
Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2010 10:49 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Testing/language assistance for ELL students

Mary Jean,

The reason we do not routinely provide extended time to ELL students is that they are required to have a sufficiently high TOEFL score that would indicate adequate English skills. In the case that someone is admitted with a marginal score, it seems to me that the institution's obligation is to provide the needed support.

Lois

Stanton, Mary Jean wrote:
> Does anyone else allow ELL students to use alternative testing such as extended (not unlimited) time and language assistance or dictionaries, and word processing for essay exams?  We've been offering this service to second language students for years; faculty refer many of our ELL students for this service.  We also have the testing program for our students with documented disabilities (in compliance with higher education law) and we offer various other accommodations for students such as access to scanning text or alternative texts. Accommodations are determined on a case by case basis.
>
> We've also recently admitted students with questionable TOEFL scores so I believe the service is more important than ever. These are bright students but the language is a barrier.
>
> Any information from my colleagues on why offering these services for
> ELL students would be considered inappropriate or "breaking
> compliance" would be greatly appreciated.  Many of us here at MMC are
> puzzled as to why someone is questioning the fact that this service is
> offered - not how it's being supervised or managed but even offered. (
> I suspect it all has to do with budgets as I do not report to the
> person who has the problem)
>
> This simply amazes me because I've been very careful about staying current with higher ed law and have never heard such a thing.
>
> Any thoughts from my fellow learning center directors?
>
> MJS
>
> Mary Jean Stanton
> Director, Instructor
> Academic Center for Excellence
> Adjunct Faculty of Communication
> 1330 Elmhurst Drive NE
> Mount Mercy College
> Cedar Rapids, IA    52402-4797
> 319-363-8213 ext. 1204
> 319-363-6474  Fax

Lois Martin
Director, Academic Resource & Writing Center Goshen College 1700 South Main Street Goshen, IN 46526
574-535-7576

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.