I am the director of the Upward Bound Program at the University of Central Florida. We use our college students to providing tutoring at local high schools. We provide tutor training and all are CRLA certified and/or in the process of being so. Several of the tutors are also Supplemental Instruction Leaders and work with our students during the summer.

This has been a wonderful program. Our high school students seem to respond better to the college students than to the "teacher" tutors. As a by-product of the program, our college tutors also acts as mentors and coaches. It has been a win-win for us.

Dr. Rebekah McCloud, Director
Upward Bound Program
Student Development and Enrollment Services
University of Central Florida
Howard Phillips Hall, Suite 208
P.O. Box 161920
Orlando, FL 32816-1920
Phone: 407-823-5595
Fax: 407-823-5597
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web site: http://upwardbound.sdes.ucf.edu/

Creating Opportunities for Success
UCF Stands for Opportunity

>>> Sara Weertz <[log in to unmask]> 1/4/2010 3:52 PM >>>
Colleagues, I would like to initiate another dimension of tutoring at our university, allowing tutors to work at local high schools. This would be a paid service and offered to high school students seeking additional help and guidance. We have interest from the local high schools and tutors willing to work. I am contemplating two different approaches: 1) Market as a part of a service learning initiative with transcript credit 2) Incorporate into our university's community engagement project I'm curious as who out there has attempted this sort of project. Any suggestions? sal [cid:[log in to unmask]] Sara Weertz Director, Supplemental Instruction Angelo State University Member, Texas Tech University System ASU Station #10915 San Angelo, TX 76909 (325) 942-2710 X-387 [log in to unmask] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To access the LRNASST-L archives or User Guide, or to change your subscription options (including subscribe/unsubscribe), point your web browser to http://www.lists.ufl.edu/archives/lrnasst-l.html To contact the LRNASST-L owner, email [log in to unmask]