As a follow-up to Danny Bales' great discovery of, and Sean McCool's subsequent post regarding the Cackling goose at SMNWR, I found the bird at 5:50 this afternoon still at the base of the observation platform adjacent to the lighthouse.  It appears to be a "Richardson's" ( hutchinsii) as it had a slightly paler breast and a hint of a white collar; also well defined pale fringe on wing coverts.  It seemed relatively tame, allowing me to approach to within 20'.  The bird was in the same vicinity, grazing on grass/clover when I left at 6:30.

John Murphy

Alligator Pt, FL