Hi,

I modified this idea from some cognitive network activity I heard someone on
the list do....but I can't remember the name of the person (please note,
this isn't a cognitive network exercise I do with students):

1. On the first day of class, have students wear hats with numbers on them.
2. Ask students, on a piece of paper, to write their name, the number on
their hat, and their home department at the top of the paper (I teach
post-graduates across departments, so I have a mixture of departments).
3. Ask them, by looking at the numbers on the hats of other students, to
list those numbers of people whom they knew, prior to entering into the
course.
4. Ask them to state a phrase on how they first got to know the person, e.g.
'took a nother class together,' or 'we're in the same department,' or 'met
at a party, ' etc..
5. Ask them to state whether they considered any of these nominated others
their friends.

The next week, use that data to introduce a lot of new vocabulary regarding
SNA, and also, to demonstrate things like:
1. Use of attribute data (are people who belong to the same department more
likely to know one another, be friends with one another, etc.)
2. Tie strength (the difference from knowing someone and being their friend)
3. Gathering qualitative data alongside some quantitative data
4. Tie formation (e.g. how people get to know one another...opportunities
etc).

be sure to take away the names though.

Students seem to like it...ice breaker, etc.

Good luck, Christina

Christina Prell, Lecturer in Sociology
Department of Sociological Studies, University of Sheffield
Elmfield Building, Northumberland Road, Sheffield, S10 2TU, UK
within UK: 0114 222 6402   -  outside UK: +44 114 222 6402
http://christina-prell.staff.shef.ac.uk/