I have done something similar with undergraduate students but a bit
more visual.  with about 20 students I suggest a relationship (e.g.
had a class together, socialized together, etc.) and connect people by
holding the ends of a string.

After the connections are revealed the students can be moved around by
shortening strings to form clusters, or put into groups by attributes
(gender, etc.).

Like Cristina the students seem to enjoy this as an icebreaker that
leads them to SNA concepts.

Best,
Alan

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Christina Prell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> *****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org  *****
>
> Hi,
>
> I modified this idea from some cognitive network activity I heard someone on
> the list do....but I can't remember the name of the person (please note,
> this isn't a cognitive network exercise I do with students):
>
> 1. On the first day of class, have students wear hats with numbers on them.
> 2. Ask students, on a piece of paper, to write their name, the number on
> their hat, and their home department at the top of the paper (I teach
> post-graduates across departments, so I have a mixture of departments).
> 3. Ask them, by looking at the numbers on the hats of other students, to
> list those numbers of people whom they knew, prior to entering into the
> course.
> 4. Ask them to state a phrase on how they first got to know the person, e.g.
> 'took a nother class together,' or 'we're in the same department,' or 'met
> at a party, ' etc..
> 5. Ask them to state whether they considered any of these nominated others
> their friends.
>
> The next week, use that data to introduce a lot of new vocabulary regarding
> SNA, and also, to demonstrate things like:
> 1. Use of attribute data (are people who belong to the same department more
> likely to know one another, be friends with one another, etc.)
> 2. Tie strength (the difference from knowing someone and being their friend)
> 3. Gathering qualitative data alongside some quantitative data
> 4. Tie formation (e.g. how people get to know one another...opportunities
> etc).
>
> be sure to take away the names though.
>
> Students seem to like it...ice breaker, etc.
>
> Good luck, Christina
>

> Christina Prell, Lecturer in Sociology
> Department of Sociological Studies, University of Sheffield
> Elmfield Building, Northumberland Road, Sheffield, S10 2TU, UK
> within UK: 0114 222 6402   -  outside UK: +44 114 222 6402
> http://christina-prell.staff.shef.ac.uk/
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Barry Wellman"

>>> To: [log in to unmask]