Date:    Fri, 19 Feb 2010 08:30:00 +0100
From:    "Haenlein, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Ambient awareness

--_000_9FBB4C51AA82054793AAD57754181E286278804515EXIDEFIX01whu_

Dear all,

I am looking for theories about "ambient awareness".

In his NYT article "Brave New World of Digital Intimacy" about social media=
, Clive Thompson wrote:

"In essence, Facebook users didn=92t think they wanted constant, up-to-the-=
minute updates on what other people are doing. Yet when they experienced th=
is sort of omnipresent knowledge, they found it intriguing and addictive. W=
hy? Social scientists have a name for this sort of incessant online contact=
. They call it =93ambient awareness.=94 It is, they say, very much like bei=
ng physically near someone and picking up on his mood through the little th=
ings he does =97 body language, sighs, stray comments =97 out of the corner=
 of your eye."

I have been looking for sociology theories explaining  "ambient awareness" =
but have trouble of identifying main sources to this subject. Are there any=
 seminal papers to this subject ? Are there any connected theories, any pap=
ers relevant for this subject?

Thanks very much in advance,

Michael

Michael Haenlein