Dear all,

I am looking for theories about "ambient awareness".

In his NYT article "Brave New World of Digital Intimacy" about social media, Clive Thompson wrote:

"In essence, Facebook users didn’t think they wanted constant, up-to-the-minute updates on what other people are doing. Yet when they experienced this sort of omnipresent knowledge, they found it intriguing and addictive. Why? Social scientists have a name for this sort of incessant online contact. They call it “ambient awareness.” It is, they say, very much like being physically near someone and picking up on his mood through the little things he does — body language, sighs, stray comments — out of the corner of your eye."

I have been looking for sociology theories explaining  "ambient awareness" but have trouble of identifying main sources to this subject. Are there any seminal papers to this subject ? Are there any connected theories, any papers relevant for this subject?

Thanks very much in advance,

Michael

Michael Haenlein
Associate Professor of Marketing