Dear Lorrainne Kisselburgh,

MIT's Senseable city lab organized a conference in October, “Engaging
data: First International Forum on the Application and Management of
Personal Electronic Information” which included a specific session on
privacy hazards when doing SNA on large datasets which are
increasingly available. Some of the resources (pdfs and video) on the
conference’s website (http://senseable.mit.edu/engagingdata/downloads.html
) might be interesting for your article.

In particular I would recommend:

The plenary talks of Trevor Hughes and Alex Pentland, and the panel
sessions on data privacy, http://senseable.mit.edu/engagingdata/program.html
]

Of the papers presented in the parallel breakout sessions, the
following explicitly address emerging privacy issues:

Christophe Aguiton, Dominique Cardon, & Zbigniew Smoreda, Living Maps
New data, new uses, new problems (http://senseable.mit.edu/engagingdata/papers/ED_SI_Living_Maps.pdf
),

Solon Barocas & Helen Nissenbaum, On Notice: The Trouble with Notice
and Consent (http://senseable.mit.edu/engagingdata/papers/ED_SII_On_Notice.pdf
)

Kurt Iveson, Too public or too private? The politics of privacy in the
real-time city, (http://senseable.mit.edu/engagingdata/papers/ED_SII_Too_Public_or_Too_Private.pdf
)

Anmol Madan, Benjamin Waber, Margaret Ding, Paul Kominers, Alex
Pentland, Reality Mining: The End of Personal Privacy, (http://senseable.mit.edu/engagingdata/papers/ED_SIII_Reality_Mining_and_Personal_Privacy.pdf
)

And lastly, the research group of which I am a part presented a paper
which addresses the issue that large datasets could lead to the
identification of 'pivotal members' in social movements and
communities outside their own consent. Michiel van Meeteren, Ate
Poorthuis, Elenna Dugundji; Mapping communities in large virtual
social networks (http://senseable.mit.edu/engagingdata/papers/ED_SIII_Mapping_Communities_in_Large_Virtual_Social_Networks.pdf
)

I would also like to ask you whether it would be possible to post a
summary of all references received from people on the list, back to
the SOCNET listserve. Privacy issues in SNA are such an important
topic at the moment since so many new applications are possible of
which we still have to grasp the ethical and wider societal
consequences.

Best regards,

Michiel van Meeteren
University of Amsterdam