From:  [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, February 8, 2010 Subject:
Re: developmental students and presentations

College faculty members need to be enlisted to support developmental students because only they can reward students for practicing what is taught in your developmental studies program.   You could give a seminar to faculty members and students showing how cognitive maps or templates are used as a framework to organize information in a presentation.   For example, the following organization could be used for many topics:

Problem: (define the problem) Developmental students cannot give effective PowerPoint presentations
   Give examples of problem:

Effect of Problem:   Developmental students cannot participate fully in credit courses
  Give examples of effect:

Cause of problem:   Inability to develop and use a framework to organize ideas.
   Give examples of cause:

Solution to the problem:
   1.   Obtain:   Instruct students to use cognitive maps to organize information when reading and writing.
   2.   Retain:   Developmental students in college courses
   3.   Eliminate:   a . Developmental students having a fear and inability of making a class presentation.
                                 b. Developmental students receiving a poor grade even if they have learned the
                                      material in the course.
   4.   Avoid:   a. Having developmental students do poorly because of the inability to organize
                              information in a required PowerPoint presentation
                      b. Having the learning center or developmental program appear it is not preparing
                           students for credit courses.