-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Saundra Y McGuire
Sent: Monday, February 08, 2010 11:35 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: developmental students and presentations

I agree with all of the comments to date, and think all of these factors
are important.  However, I often find that a HUGE difference between
students who do well with presentations and those who don't is...drum
roll please... preparation and practice!!!

I'm attaching a PP I've done for students who need to do presentations,
and I've gotten good feedback.  The focus is on research presentations
because I work with many STEM students.  And it's not visually pretty,
as I developed it in my early days of learning power point.  And I'm
still a self-described technophobic dinosaur!  But the content seems to
resonate with most students who are anxious about preparing a
presentation.

A Euphoric Member of the WHO DAT Nation!
Saundra

Saundra McGuire, Ph.D.
Assistant Vice Chancellor for Learning and Teaching Professor,
Department of Chemistry
736 Choppin Hall
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803