All UF students are invited to the see the Daily International Voice of the Gator Nation in action Thursday evening April 1st.  The Gator Amateur Radio Club will be holding an open house at our radio station W4DFU that evening and participating/leading College Satellite nights, where students across the country represent their Universities and make contact with other amateur radio stations through the direct use of satellites placed in orbit, built by ham operators.  A satellite launched in 1974 is still working, not bad for a bunch of amateurs!

Our sister club, the Small Satellite Design Club has the SG funded Gator Nation Earth Station located at W4DFU.  Their two pound nano-satellite SwampSat is tentatively scheduled for launch in November 2010.  The same equipment allows UF students to be Satellite active for recreational purposes.  W4DFU has earned the VUCC on satellite award (rules at http://www.arrl.org/awards/vucc/VUCCRULE1a.pdf ).  We have satellite totals of 140 grids worked and 109 currently confirmed (100 needed for the award).  Currently earned W4DFU awards can be viewed at http://gatorradio.org/dx.html.

For more information about our open house, SG club, and room D11-27 location (QTH) see our Website at www.gatorradio.org.  We hope to see you on Thursday April 1st, 7pm.  All UF students are invited to join our club that has served UF since 1934!

Dr. Jay Garlitz, AA4FL

Faculty Advisor, Gator Amateur Radio Club

E-mail [log in to unmask]

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4976 (20100326) __________

http://www.eset.com