For comparing MDS of structural equivalence (as Euclidean distances),
using two standardizations of raw network relations see Burt, 1988, The
Stability of the American Market AJS, and especially his 1989 AJS,
Another look at the Network Boundaries of American markets.

Another use of MDS of SE see Talmud, I., "Relations and Profits:
Imperfect Competition and Its Outcome"
<pdf/relations%20and%20profits.pdf>, /Social Science Research/, 23,
1994: 109-135.

I advise to use SE as correlations only if you one has a special reason
to do so, such as comparing one's SE measures to other standard
correlations.    See, for example, Z. Maoz. R. Kuperman, L. Terris., and
I. Talmud (2006). _"Structural Equivalence and International Conflict,
1816-2000: A Social Networks Analysis of Dyadic Affinities and
Conflict."_ <pdf/strucequiv4.pdf>. /Journal of Conflict Resolution/ 50:
664-689)

????? Semenov Alexander:
> ***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Hello everybody,
> I have the following question. Is it appropriate to use MDS
> visualization of structural equivalence procedures like CONCOR. The
> case is that it's an output option of NetMiner CONCOR procedure, which
> I'm using. But today saw t the following phrase in Hanneman's book:
>
>     p. 106: "...one such approach is multidimensional scaling, but we
>     will not discuss it here -- as it is rarely
>     used for making sense of structural equivalence data."
>
> So, now I'm in doubt. Is it valid to visualize CONCOR with MDS or I
> have to choose other technique?
> Thanks in advance.
> Alexander.
> --
> Alexander Semenov.
> MA student
> Faculty of Sociology
> Moscow School of Social and Economic Sciences (MSSES)
> http://www.msses.ru/English/index.html
>
> Graduate Student in Sociology at
> State University - Higher School of Economics
> http://www.hse.ru/eng

Ilan Talmud, Ph.D.
Senior Lecturer
Department of Sociology and Anthropology,
University of Haifa
Phones: 972-4-8240992 (office direct)
972-4-8240995 / 8249505 (secretaries)
(cell) 972-522-220914