Please note the information below includes a short course on Network Analysis, to be offered June 17-19 at Wayne state University in Detroit MI. With apologies for cross-listings.

CARMA Summer Short Courses - Research Methods for Management and Organization Studies

Dear Colleagues:

I am pleased to send you information about upcoming Summer Short Courses on management research methods topics in May and June of 2010 hosted by Center for the Advancement of Research Methods and Analysis (CARMA) at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan. Reservations for our Short Courses are now available on our website! Please be sure to reserve early as space is limited.

CARMA is an interdisciplinary center with a management/organizational emphasis. Last summer, nearly 200 faculty and doctoral students from universities throughout the United States and abroad participated in one or more of our short course events. More information about CARMA and our programs can be found at: http://www.carma.vcu.edu

This year, we will be offering two programs.

CARMA Summer Short Course Program at Virginia Commonwealth University

This program (May 17 - May 22, 2010), with two sessions, will be held at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Virginia. The topics of eight short courses in this program are listed below:

Session I

May 17 - 19, 2010

"Introduction to Structural Equation Methods"

Dr. Larry Williams

Wayne State University

Session II

May 20 - 22, 2010

"Advanced Topics in Structural Equation Methods"

Dr. Bob Vandenberg, University of Georgia

"Meta-Analysis: Models & Processes"

Dr. Mike McDaniel

Virginia Commonwealth University

Dr. Hannah Rothstein, Baruch College

"Testing Interactions with Linear Regression"

Dr. Herman Aguinis

Indiana University

"Grounded Theory Method & Analysis"

Dr. Karen Locke, College of William & Mary

"Survey Design/Data Collection Using the Internet"

Dr. Jeff Stanton, Syracuse University

"Introduction to Linear Regression"

Dr. Jose Cortina, George Mason University

CARMA Summer Short Course Program at Wayne State University

This program (June 17 - June 19, 2010) will be hosted by Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan. The topics of the six short courses are listed below:

"Nonlinear Dynamic Models: Neural Network & Agent Based Analylsis"

Dr. Paul Hanges, University of Maryland

"Repeated Measures/Longitudinal Research"

Dr. Robert Ployhart, University of South Carolina

"Social Network Analysis"

Rich DeJordy, Northeastern University

"Analysis of Limited Dependent Variables"

Dr. Harry Bowen, Queens University of Charlotte

"Multi-Level Measurement"

Dr. James LeBreton, Purdue University

“Introduction to Structural Equation Methods”

Dr. Larry Williams, Wayne State University

Overview of Courses and Instructors

On our website, you can find course summaries and abstracts, along with instructor biographies for these short courses and past years' CARMA Short Course Participant evaluation summaries. To access these materials, please visit our website at: http://www.carma.vcu.edu

Each of the short courses includes an equal balance of lecture and lab time with hands-on experience with an emphasis on the application of the method. We have a very talented set of instructors for our Short Courses, many of whom are Editors, Past Editors, or Editorial Board members from our leading management journals. They will help you not only learn the technical details of the research method or analysis technique you will be studying, but they will also help you understand how it is being applied in management and organizational research.

Cost for Attending

These courses are held in-person and DO NOT use distance learning technology. The price per course is $550 for students or $750 for faculty or professionals. This price includes lunches, a dinner, and all program materials.  There is also a 50% discount for faculty and students coming from over 140 schools participating in our Consortium Webcast Program or International Video Library Program (a list of participating schools is available on our website at http://www.carma.vcu.edu/CurrentConsortiumMembers.asp?pid=25&lpid=20).

Locations and Discount for Accommodation

We are very excited to have local area hotels in Richmond and Detroit provide a discounted rate for our Short Course participants this year!

CARMA Summer Short Course Program at Virginia Commonwealth University

We are very excited that we will be hosting our Summer Short Courses in Snead Hall, at the VCU School of Business located in Richmond, Virginia. I am also very happy to report that our main 2010 CARMA Summer Short Course hotel will be the newly remodeled Double Tree Hotel, which is only one block from Snead Hall.  Detailed information on how to reserve a room is available on our website at: http://www.carma.vcu.edu/SummerShortCourses.asp

CARMA Summer Short Course Program at Wayne State University

This program will be hosted by Wayne State University, the new home of CARMA in Detroit, Michigan. These courses will be conducted at the DoubleTree Guest Suites Fort Shelby/Detroit in Detroit, Michigan. The DoubleTree Guest Suites will also provide discounted accommodations for Short Course participants. Reservation information is available on our website at: http://www.carma.vcu.edu/SummerShortCourses.asp

Advanced Reservation Deadlines & Reservation Information

Let me encourage you to reserve your spot soon, as we are limiting the number of participants in each course, and based on past experience some may fill up quickly. The deadline for Advanced Reservation for the Virginia Commonwealth University Program is April 1, 2010 (after this date a late registration fee is added). The deadline for Advanced Reservation for the Wayne State University Program is May 1, 2010 (after this date a late reservation fee is added).

To complete your reservation, please visit: http://www.carma.vcu.edu/SummerShortCourses.asp

Please let us know if you have any questions or if we can help in any way.   We hope to see you at our Short Courses in May and June!

Sincerely,

Dr. Larry J. Williams

Professor of Management

CARMA Director