From: Jack Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [FLBIRDS] RFI from an out of state birder
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, March 11, 2010, 7:03 AM

Hi All, A birder just down from Seattle for some birding asked that I post
this RFI:

"Since I am not subscribed to the FL Bird Listserve I was wondering if you'd
be willing to forward a question to the list? Here it is:

My wife and I saw an immature Booby at Fort Meyers Beach on the morning of
Feb. 27th. It flew north, up the beach and towards Sanibel Island. I have
seen Brown and Red-footed Boobies in the Pacific Ocean but very few and
never all that well, so my booby ID skills aren't exactly up to snuff (plus
I hadn't expected to see one this trip). If people in your area know which
species of "all-brown" booby is more common in SW Florida at that time of
year I'd be grateful.

According to my field guide the Brown Booby is more likely to look solidly
brown in immature plumage but the Masked Booby is supposedly more common
outside the keys.

Jim Flynn
Seattle, WA"

I'm pretty sure someone more knowledgeable than I can answer this one.

Jack Rogers
Oviedo, Fl

To write listowners: [log in to unmask]