Hey Everyone,

I stopped tonight to bird the area where the White-fronted Geese have
been fat and happy for over two weeks now. The geese were waddling
along the fence and the flock of glossy and the white-faced ibis were
still present.

Bulldozers and giant water pumps have drained that end of the road (I
don't know why), but is is still productive (the geese and ibis still
like this area, but the ibis was at the east end of the road several
times too).

However, the other end of the road is still flooded and there were
over 1,000 shorebirds tonight. Amongst the impressive numbers were
200+ Pectoral Sandpipers, 125 Wilson's Snipe, 4 Stilt Sandpipers, 1
Solitary Sandpiper, 120 Long-billed Dowitchers, and hundreds of both
yellowlegs.

I was birding with my friends from Michigan and they were asking about
Golden Plovers. Just about the time I finished telling them how
unrealistic it would be to find any here, and in spring to boot, EIGHT
flew in! We had them in the scopes for about 24 minutes, but they were
never "settled" in and flew off. I'll check tomorrow.

If coming to bird please do not drive off the road and up on the grass
for "better views" and please do not park in the middle of the road
and leave your vehicle unattended - the natives are getting restless.
This whole area is and industrial zone.

Roger Clark
Jacksonville, FL