way across the Gulf Stream. This trip usually turns up Band-rumped,
Leach's and Wilson's Storm-Petrels, as well as many more. Don't miss
this opportunity! Contact me by email for reservations and price at
Best wishes,
Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center
Ponce Inlet

Pelagic Birding Trip 		Saturday, May 15, 2010
Sponsored by the Friends of the Marine Science Center

Join us for the third public exploration offered off the east coast of
Florida that will explore the entire width of the Gulf Stream and the
3000’ deep canyons 100 miles offshore.
Experienced leaders include:
Michael Brothers, Bob Wallace, Andy Kratter, Bruce Anderson, Wes Biggs,
Mitchell Harris, Roberto Torres, John Hintermister, and Murray Gardler.
“The Pastime Princess” is a 100-foot, all-aluminum boat with
excellent observation areas on the upper deck and bow and even a nice
stern seating area. The cabin can also accommodate 30-40 in
air-conditioned comfort.  Meet for this exciting trip at 4:00 a.m. (yes,
4 a.m. - we have a long way to go) at the Dolphin View  Restaurant and
Marina on Riverside Drive near Canal Street in downtown New Smyrna
Beach. Captain Mike and crew plan a 4:30 a.m. departure; the boat will
not wait for anyone who is late.  Return is at 9pm.

The trip leaves from the New Smyrna side of Ponce Inlet, travels out
over 100 miles, crosses the entire Gulf Stream, past the east wall of
the Gulf Stream into the area known as the “Tuna Grounds.”  This
trip holds high probability of encountering numerous pelagic species. We
will be in the Gulf Stream at the perfect time - middle spring migration
- to see to have multiple sightings of Black-capped Petrel. In addition,
migrants such as Sooty and Audubon’s Shearwaters, all three
Storm-Petrels  (Leach’s, Wilson’s and Band-rumped), both
Tropicbirds, Long-tailed Jaeger and Arctic Tern are possibilities.
Previous explorations of this area at this time of year have gotten
Black-caps every trip.  Last year, we found a South Polar Skua on this
trip as well as a White-tailed Tropicbird,
There is a remote chance that we may even find the first state record
of an extreme rarity.

Potential Species include (* indicates good probability):
Black-capped Petrel *	Cory’s Shearwater *	Greater Shearwater
*	Sooty Shearwater
Audubon’s Shearwater *	    Manx Shearwater 	Wilson’s Storm
Petrel *	Leach’s Storm-Petrel *
Band-rumped Storm-Petrel *	Northern Gannet 		Brown
Booby		Masked Booby
Red-footed Booby	White-tailed Tropicbird	Red-billed
Tropicbird	Red and Red-necked Phalaropes*
Pomarine Jaeger *	Parasitic Jaeger* 		Long-tailed
Jaeger	Arctic Tern
Common Tern*		Roseate Tern 		Black Tern*	Sooty
Tern* Bridled Tern *	Brown Noddy

Participants should bring: food and beverages, seasickness medicine,
sunscreen and personal items.  Food service will be available on the
boat for breakfast, lunch and dinner at moderate prices.

Maximum 75 = (minimum of 40 people for the trip to go)
Call or email NOW to reserve your space. Additional information, maps
and available accommodations will be forwarded to participants. DON’T
MISS this exceedingly rare opportunity to bird in almost unexplored
state waters, with the chance at seeing some of the rarest birds in
Florida!

To sign up please contact:
Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center