Hey everyone,

I celebrated St. Patrick's Day by doing a little local birding.  I arrived at Mead around 8:45 AM, then I arrived at Leu just before noon and birded there for about 2 hours.  The overcast and no-wind conditions kept birds active well into the afternoon.  I'll combine the lists here with notes on specific locations:

Wood Duck

Mallard

Pied-Billed Grebe

Brown Pelican (1 adult flying over Lake Sue, near Mead)

Double-Crested Cormorant

Anhinga

Great Blue Heron

Great Egret

Tricolored Heron

Green Heron

White Ibis

Wood Stork

Turkey Vulture

Osprey

Cooper's Hawk

Red-Shouldered Hawk

Red-Tailed Hawk

Common Moorhen

Bonaparte's Gull

Ring-Billed Gull

Forster's Tern

Mourning Dove

Barred Owl (1 Mead)

Red-Bellied Woodpecker

Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker (1 Mead, 1 Leu)

Downy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker (heard only)

Eastern Phoebe

White-Eyed Vireo (1 Mead, 2 Leu)

Yellow-Throated Vireo (1 Mead - FOS)

Blue Jay

Fish Crow

Tree Swallow (35-40 foraging over Lake Sue)

Barn Swallow (1 foraging over Lake Sue)

Tufted Titmouse (Leu)

Carolina Wren

Ruby-Crowned Kinglet

Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher

Hermit Thrush (3 Leu)

American Robin (1 Mead, 4 Leu - should be outta here anyday now?)

Gray Catbird

Northern Mockingbird

Brown Thrasher (Leu)

European Starling

Cedar Waxwing (dozens)

Orange-Crowned Warbler (1 Mead)

Northern Parula (8-9 Mead, 3-4 Leu)

Yellow-Rumped Warbler (by far the most abundant species today)

Yellow-Throated Warbler (1 Mead)

Pine Warbler (4-5 Mead)

Palm Warbler

Black-and-White Warbler (3 each at Mead and Leu)

Common Yellowthroat (Mead)

Chipping Sparrow (2 Mead)

Swamp Sparrow (1 Mead)

Northern Cardinal

Red-Winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

Boat-Tailed Grackle

House Finch

American Goldfinch (50 or so at Mead, 4-5 Leu)

Some notable misses today that usually aren't too hard to pick up this time of year in the Downtown Orlando/Winter Park area included Snowy Egret, Little Blue Heron, Black Vulture, Bald Eagle, Limpkin, Belted Kingfisher, and Blue-Headed Vireo.

Mead Garden is located near the intersection of US 17/92 (Orlando Ave.) and Orange Avenue in Winter Park.  There is no entrance fee.  Nearby Harry P. Leu Botanical Gardens (entrance fee for non-members) is located near the intersection of US 17/92 (Mills Ave.) and Virginia Avenue in northern Downtown Orlando.  Both are in north-central Orange County.

Good birding,

John Thomton

Winter Park, Orange Co.