Hi All:

I laughed (yet shuddered at the reality) at the 'Nation Shudders.' Onion
article and the very next day ran across this article in the NYTimes.

Arts  <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/21/books/21mash.html?emc=eta1> &
Leisure Preview:  Texts Without Context
By MICHIKO KAKUTANI
How the Internet and mash-up culture change everything we know about
reading.

A brief excerpt:

"WORRYING ABOUT the public's growing attention deficit disorder and
susceptibility to information overload, of course, is hardly new. It's been
25 years since Neil Postman warned in
<http://www.nytimes.com/1985/11/21/books/books-of-the-times-169933.html>
"Amusing Ourselves to Death" that trivia and the entertainment values
promoted by television were creating distractions that threatened to subvert
public discourse, and more than a decade since writers like James Gleick (
<http://www.nytimes.com/books/99/08/29/daily/090299gleick-book-review.html>
"Faster") and David Shenk (
<http://www.nytimes.com/1997/07/08/books/how-endless-information-restricts-y
our-view.html> "Data Smog") described a culture addicted to speed, drowning
in data and over stimulated to the point where only sensationalism and
willful hyperbole grab people's attention."

Kate

Kate Jakobson, M.S., Director

Tutoring & Student Success

Kirtland Community College