From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lois Martin
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2010 2:26 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Selection criteria for peer tutors

Roberta,

I look for someone who is approachable with fellow students so that the
tutor doesn't come across as a "know-it-all" and is able to encourage
tutees by accepting their faltering attempts. I also look for someone
who will model good study habits and suggest a variety of strategies for
learning the course material.

The instructor may not know all students well enough to judge such
intangibles, but he or she will hopefully know enough to steer me in the
right direction.

Lois

Roberta Schotka wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to put together a list for faculty on the qualities and
> characteristics they should consider when recommending a student to my
> office for hire as a peer tutor. Beyond the obvious of course grade of 3.5
> or above, GPA of 3.0 or above, ability to communicate effectively in
> English (both orally and in writing), I am curious to hear what you all
> think.
>
> Thanks,
> Roberta
>
> ********************************************************************************************************************
> Roberta Schotka
> Director of Programs
> PLTC, Wellesley College
> phone:781-283-2675
> fax: 781-283-3709

Lois Martin
Director, Academic Resource & Writing Center
Goshen College
1700 South Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526
574-535-7576

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.