***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Alex
We pursued something similar in our attempt to create a model that matches leaders identifed as receiving the most nominations and matching them to their nearest peers for implementation of behavior change programs.

Valente, T. W., & Davis, R. L. (1999). Accelerating the diffusion of innovations using opinion leaders.  The Annals of the American Academy of the Political and Social Sciences, 566, 55-67.

You might also consult Borgatti's Key Player paper and software:
Borgatti, S. (2006). Identifying key players in a social network. Computational and Mathematical Organization Theory, 12, 21-34.

- Tom

Alexander Nikolaev wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Dear SOCNET members,

I am new to this area of research, and have a very general question. As I
understand, social network science currently focuses on describing communications in
various environments via mathematical modeling (e.g., writing mathematical
expressions to describe communication mechanisms, proposing regression-like models,
estimating coefficients for such models using the often-mentioned SIENA, etc.). I'd
like to know if any effort has been put forth to create methodologies for
optimization on social networks, with a goal of developing provably convergent
algorithms that find the best strategies for influencing networks in order to
achieve some pre-specified goal, GIVEN a model. Any advice/references would be much
appreciated.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Alex Nikolaev.

Ph.D.,
Adjunct Assistant Professor,
Department of Industrial and Management Systems Engineering,
Northwestern University.

Thomas W. Valente, PhD
http://www.usc.edu/medicine/mph/
Department of  Preventive Medicine
Keck  School of Medicine
University of Southern California
1000 S. Fremont Ave., Unit #8
Building A Room 5110
Alhambra CA 91803
phone: (626) 457-4139
cell: (626) 429-4123
fax: (626) 457-6699
email: [log in to unmask]

Social Networks and Health: Models, Methods, and Applications:
http://www.oup.com/us (promo code: 28569)

My personal webpage:
http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~tvalente/

The Empirical Networks Project