Dear SOCNET members,

I am new to this area of research, and have a very general question. As I
understand, social network science currently focuses on describing communications in
various environments via mathematical modeling (e.g., writing mathematical
expressions to describe communication mechanisms, proposing regression-like models,
estimating coefficients for such models using the often-mentioned SIENA, etc.). I'd
like to know if any effort has been put forth to create methodologies for
optimization on social networks, with a goal of developing provably convergent
algorithms that find the best strategies for influencing networks in order to
achieve some pre-specified goal, GIVEN a model. Any advice/references would be much
appreciated.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Alex Nikolaev.

Ph.D.,
Adjunct Assistant Professor,
Department of Industrial and Management Systems Engineering,
Northwestern University.