I can confirm that Mark is correct in his belief!

Martin Everett

-----Original Message-----
From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mark Newman
Sent: 10 April 2010 19:20
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SOCNET] Girvan-Newman in Netdraw

I believe that the algorithm in Netdraw is not a modularity maximization
algorithm at all -- so it's not any of the algorithms in the papers you
mention.  Rather, it is the betweenness-based clustering algorithm proposed
in M. Girvan and M. Newman, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
99, 7821-7826 (2002).  It does however compute modularity values for the
partitions resulting from the clustering, as a measure of partition quality.

Mark Newman