We had a successful day in the vicinity of the Scrub Jay Rd. (aka Grassy
Lake Rd.) and Sullivan Rd. north of Mineola.  The highlight was a
scissor-tailed flycatcher (thanks Joyce for your recent posting).  We found
the bird on the south side of Sullivan Rd. west of Scrub Jay Rd.
approximately half way between Scrub Jay Rd. and the barricade.  Other
interesting observations were a pair of bald eagles apparently engaging in a
courtship/mating flight, two red-tailed hawks in the same activity, and, of
course, the name sake of the road.  We also saw eastern towhees, not that
exciting a find, but a lifer for us.

Regards,

Larry and Diana Connor

Eustis, FL

Location:     Mineola, Scrub Jay Rd and Sullivan Rd

Observation date:     4/3/10

Number of species:     12

Northern Bobwhite - Colinus virginianus     1

Bald Eagle - Haliaeetus leucocephalus     2

Red-tailed Hawk - Buteo jamaicensis     3

Eastern Kingbird - Tyrannus tyrannus     1 (possibly 2 birds, but not seen
together so could only verify one.)

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher - Tyrannus forficatus     1

Loggerhead Shrike - Lanius ludovicianus     1

Florida Scrub-Jay - Aphelocoma coerulescens     1

Northern Mockingbird - Mimus polyglottos     3

Brown Thrasher - Toxostoma rufum     1

Eastern Towhee - Pipilo erythrophthalmus     5

White-throated Sparrow - Zonotrichia albicollis     2

Northern Cardinal - Cardinalis cardinalis     2