Yesterday I visited Moccasin Lake and Kapok Park with the Clearwater
Audubon Society. We saw a Yellow Billed Cuckoo at Moccasin Lake and we
were able to see the baby owl scrambling around near it's not very well
hidden nest at Kapok. The nest shares it's ancient bough with more
Butterfly Orchid (Encycla tampaensis) than I've ever seen in one place.
Passing dog walkers were happy to point the chick out to us. It is only
a large gray ball of down at this stage but we were assured it will
become a Great Horned Owl. Coincidentally, here in Holiday I heard my
local screech owls for the first time this season at 5 this morning.
Thanks, Clearwater Audubon.
Paul Francois
Holiday, SW Pasco Co.