This morning, 4/2, I found a 1st winter Glaucous Gull sitting out on Disappearing Island in Ponce de Leon Inlet in Volusia County. I have been out of the state for a week, but the morning I left, 3/27, I had a Whip-poor-will calling at my house in Ormond Beach. This morning before dawn I had about 6 Chuck-will's-widows calling at the house, but no Whips. At work today, we received a female Whip-poor-will at the Marine Science Center's bird hospital. It was interesting to see this  female Whip-poor-will beside a male Chuck-will's-widow that came in yesterday, but died last night. In the wild, it can be hard to appreciate the size difference between the two species. In the side-by-side comparison, it is amazing how small the Whip-poor-will really is.

Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center
Ponce Inlet