Hey y'all,

Here in s. St. Pete near the tip of Pinellas Co., Owls are pretty much limited to Eastern Screech.  In the last two years or more a Barred Owl has been visiting Boyd Hill and there are reports of an occasional Great Horned Owl (GHOW) also in the park.  Last night at 3 a.m.I was awakened by a very soft call of a GHOW immediately outside my bedroom window--12 feet away.  The bird continued calling for 2-3 minutes more, then seeing my movement, flew off.  What surprised me, other than its presence in this suburban neighborhood, was the soft hoots rather than the booming springtime hoots I would have expected.  Anyway, a new yard bird!

Regards,
Lee Snyder
St. Pete