Jan,

While there are a number of studies and articles about the effectiveness of tutoring, you are right that studies demonstrating the positive impacts of tutor training on retention, grades, exams, and learning outcomes are much rarer.

From the flip side: One study of tutoring found no positive impact and in explanation of this, the author stated that "the most significant difference [versus another program with a positive impact] was the amount and rigor of the training provided to peer tutors" (Love, 2008, p. 101).  Love recommended implementing a rigorous tutor training program and seeking CRLA certification.  Studies by Mumford (1999) and Stauf (1999) mentioned by Love (2008) may provide additional input on the impact of tutor training.  (I have not read either of those.)

References

Love, K. S. (2008). Effects of tutoring on student mathematics proficiency and program completion at a Georgia Technical College. Dissertation Abstracts International-A, 69(05). (AAT 3316912)

Mumford, T. (1999). The effects of student support services peer tutoring on learning and study strategies, grades, and retention at a rural community college. Unpublished doctoral dissertation. University of Maryland.

Stauf, G. (1999). As successful as the county fair: Bainbridge College's peer tutor program (ED 451848). ERIC.

Alan Craig
President, National College Learning Center Association
Coordinator, Dunwoody Learning & Tutoring Center
Georgia Perimeter College
770-274-5242

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jan Norton [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 1:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Recent research on Impact of tutor training?

Does anyone know of anything more recent than the Kellogg study which connects tutor training (not just tutoring) to improved student learning, grades, retention, etc.??  I know we all turn with relief (and almost reverential thanks) to the Kellogg study for the connection NCDE was able to make between student success and tutor training, but I haven't found more to cite.

Jan Norton, Director
Center for Academic Resources
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
(920) 424-3419