Arrived early today(8am) and enjoyed an awesome lightning show
offshore as the storm drifted SE. A lone Snowy Plover was on the
beach. But no songbirds. Sticking to my prediction I wandered the
soggy woods. A Black-throated Green was all I could find. About 9:15
the wind died and the clouds began to part. I thought I heard heaven's
harps as they tailed off into the sounds of warblers and buntings
descending from above. What a stark contrast to the past 2 weeks of
bemoaning where the birds are. Tennessees started it off, then Indigos
which ultimately outnumbered all others. At the hawkwatch bench behind
the work shed at the lighthouse turnaround birds began landing in the
ficus. Tennessee, Palms, B&W, then wha' a female Cerulean and up hops
a Veery. A Red- eyed Vireo shows up. As the morning got sunnier Y-b
Cuckoos, Summer Tanager, E. Kingbirds, later a Gray Kingbird. More and
more swallows and Martins. Chimney Swift, a lone Bank Swallow, Bobolink
(11) and loner later were overhead. We would add Magnolia, Yellow,
Redstart, and N. Waterthrush. I heard the PHAT!! of a passing
Dickcissel but it turned back west for open areas. Baltimore and
Orchard Oriole both imm males. Tomorrow may be better! Our red phase
Screech Owl cooperated at the nest hole entrance and Frigatebirds
threw batlike shadows across the parking lots

Vince McGrath
Fort Myers, Fl