All,

After enduring horrendous traffic snarls on Key Biscayne, 20 sharp-eyed and super-fun birders joined together this morning in Bill Baggs Cape Florida SP (Miami-Dade County) for the Tropical Audubon walk. The breezy ESE conditions may have pushed migrants farther west, but we still snagged nice birds. We had 13 warbler species, including male Hooded and Swainson's. We enjoyed good looks at Bobolinks and Blackpolls but the Yellow-billed Cuckoo was shy. A special treat was an in-the-hand Worm-eating Warbler, who didn't seemed phased by the attention.

We were wonderfully entertained by special guest, CT birder Patrick Dugan, a famous birdsong whistler. We had our own personal iPat! No doubt, if a Winter Wren was in the vicinity, it would have joined Pat in song. Seriously, Patrick is extraordinary and to see/hear the transcript of his NPR interview in February 2010, see the link below. If possible, play the audio version of the interview in order to experience his incredible talent.

http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.htm?programID=10-P13-00006&segmentID=8

Robin Diaz
Key Biscayne, FL