Hey everyone,

Partially to show that I occasionally bird at other places besides Mead and Leu Gardens, I thought I would post on what I saw out at the Scrub Jay Trail.  I go out there once a month to help out with scrub restoration, and I am also compiling a bird list for the property.  Today's walk didn't produce many migrants, but the breeding birds (and a few winter holdovers) were out in force:

Mottled Duck

Double-Crested Cormorant

Anhinga

Great Blue Heron

Great Egret

Little Blue Heron

Cattle Egret

Green Heron

Black Vulture

Turkey Vulture

Osprey

Bald Eagle (1 adult)

Red-Shouldered Hawk

Sandhill Crane

Killdeer

Mourning Dove

Common Ground-Dove

Red-Bellied Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker

Pileated Woodpecker

Great Crested Flycatcher

Loggerhead Shrike

Blue Jay

Florida Scrub-Jay (3)

American Crow

Fish Crow

Purple Martin

Carolina Wren

Eastern Bluebird

Gray Catbird

Northern Mockingbird

Brown Thrasher

Cedar Waxwing

Prairie Warbler (1)

Northern Cardinal

Indigo Bunting

Red-Winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

Boat-Tailed Grackle

Brown-Headed Cowbird

Also, I had two Tringa sandpipers fly over at one point.  They were vocalizing, but it didn't seem typical.  As they were flying together, one dove down at the other one.  I don't know if an aggressive vocalization is the same as a typical Tringa call, and I'm fairly familiar with Tringa calls.  At any rate, I didn't recognize this one.  I did see a little white on the rump when the birds tilted.  If I had a gun pointed at me demanding me to ID, based on size (about Mourning Dove-ish), I'd guess Lesser Yellowlegs.  But no positive ID on those guys...

Birds I missed on the trail today that I can usually count on as flyovers included Wood Stork and Swallow-Tailed Kite.

The Florida Scrub-Jay Trail is located south of SR-50 on Montevista Road in southern Lake County.

Good birding,

John Thomton

Winter Park, Orange Co.