Hey everyone,

I had some time this morning, so I arrived at Leu at about 9:30.  I stopped at Mead on the way home.  The birding was pretty similar to Wednesday: a few migrants and lots of residents.  The breeding activity was kind of fun today.

Mallard

Brown Pelican (1 Leu, Lake Rowena)

Double-Crested Cormorant

Anhinga

Great Blue Heron

Great Egret

White Ibis

Wood Stork

Black Vulture

Turkey Vulture

Osprey

Bald Eagle (1 immature bird, Leu)

Red-Shouldered Hawk

Red-Tailed Hawk

Mourning Dove

Barred Owl (3 Mead, 1 adult and 2 youngsters)

Chimney Swift

Red-Bellied Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker

Pileated Woodpecker

Great Crested Flycatcher

Blue-Headed Vireo (1 Leu)

Blue Jay

Fish Crow

Tufted Titmouse (1 bird was flying in and out of a nest hole at Leu; I could hear the chicks inside when the bird was in the hole!)

Carolina Wren

House Wren (2 Mead)

Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher (1 bird was sitting on a nest at Mead)

Gray Catbird (lots still)

Northern Mockingbird

Brown Thrasher

Cedar Waxwing

Northern Parula

Cape May Warbler (1 male at Leu)

Palm Warbler (1 Leu)

Blackpoll Warbler (2 Leu)

Black-and-White Warbler (2 Leu; 1 Mead)

American Redstart (1 each Leu and Mead)

Worm-Eating Warbler (1 Leu)

Ovenbird (1 Mead)

Northern Waterthrush (1 Mead)

Northern Cardinal

Indigo Bunting (heard them today at both gardens, but never got one in my bins!)

Red-Winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

Boat-Tailed Grackle

Brown-Headed Cowbird

Baltimore Oriole (1 Leu)

Birds that other birders saw earlier in the morning at Mead that I didn't see there were Yellow-Billed Cuckoo, Black-Throated Blue Warbler, and Worm-Eating Warbler.  I also heard one hummingbird each at both places.  I'm assuming they were Ruby-Throats, but never did see one.

Leu Gardens is located near the intersection of US 17/92 (Mills Ave.) and Virginia Ave in the northern section of downtown Orlando.  There is an entrance fee for non-members.  Mead Garden (very close by) is located near the intersection of US 17/92 (Orlando Ave.) and Orange Ave. in Winter Park.  There is no entrance fee.  Both are in north-central Orange County.

Good birding,

John Thomton

Winter Park, Orange Co.