Hey everyone,

I thought I would pipe in on a couple of inland sites during the migration peak (I have to admit that this time of year I always have a twinge of jealousy for all you birders that have those coastal migrant traps in your backyards!).  I'm getting married in a little over 3 weeks, so this morning we had some business to attend to.  When we were finished, I headed to Leu first at 3 PM (because it closes at 5).  Of course, it was nothing compared to coastal sites over the last few days, however there was always something to look at and I was never bored.  And the weather was perfect to boot!

Double-Crested Cormorant

Anhinga

White Ibis

Mourning Dove

Barred Owl (1)

Chimney Swift

Red-Bellied Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Great Crested Flycatcher

Blue Jay

Fish Crow

Tufted Titmouse

Carolina Wren

Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher

Gray-Cheeked Thrush (1)

Gray Catbird (several, but not as many as last week)

Northern Mockingbird

Brown Thrasher

Cedar Waxwing

Northern Parula

Cape May Warbler (1 male)

Black-Throated Blue Warbler (4-5 males)

Blackpoll Warbler (7-8 males)

Black-and-White Warbler (4)

American Redstart (5 males)

Worm-Eating Warbler (1)

Ovenbird (1)

Northern Cardinal

Red-Winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

While the migrants were fun but not spectacular, the most memorable moments at Leu were the newly-fledged chicks of some of the permanent and summer residents.  I saw Tufted Titmice and Carolina Wrens feeding youngsters, and I saw a VERY newly fledged Northern Parula chirping its little head off.  Awesome!

I stopped by Mead for about an hour on the way home.  There were several other birders there, and I didn't have time to cover the entire park, but I thought I would give you a list of what was seen today, from what I actually saw, and what was told to me.  Again, I didn't see all of these birds listed:

Wood Duck

Yellow-Billed Cuckoo

Veery

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Black-Throated Blue Warbler

Black-Throated Green Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler (female)

Prairie Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Black-and-White Warbler

American Redstart

Ovenbird

Northern Waterthrush

Common Yellowthroat

Scarlet Tanager

If any other Mead regulars want to chime in to tell everyone what else was seen today, that would be great!

Leu Gardens is located near the intersection of US 17/92 (Mills Ave.) and Virginia Ave. in downtown Orlando.  There is an entrance fee for non-members.  Mead Gardens is very close by.  It is located near the intersection of US 17/92 (Orlando Ave.) and Orange Ave. in Winter Park.  There is no entrance fee.  Both are in north-central Orange County.

Good birding,

John Thomton

Winter Park, Orange Co.